Alphabets & Writing Learn Hiragana Common Anime Words

Halloween Words in Japanese - List With 100+ Words

Friday, October 20, 2017
Seeing as it's almost Halloween, I figured I'd make a vocabulary list with common Halloween words in Japanese, including words for witches, magic, and names of creatures and costumes commonly seen in Halloween.
Halloween in Anime: yay for cultural appropriation! Example of trick-or-treating in Osomatsu-san おそ松さん

Shoujo-ai - Meaning in Japanese - 少女愛

Saturday, September 30, 2017
The shoujo-ai genre is a rather rare genre of manga and anime, there being few shoujo-ai works. But is shoujo-ai? What makes something a shoujo-ai? And what does shoujo-ai mean in Japanese, the language it came from?

Shounen-ai - Meaning in Japanese - 少年愛

Friday, September 29, 2017
In some websites that deal with manga and anime, you may find the category shounen-ai 少年愛. But what does shounen-ai mean? What's the difference between shounen-ai and shounen which is a lot more common? And does shounen-ai in the west mean the same thing as shounen-ai in Japan? In Japanese?

Seme, Uke - Meaning in Japanese - 攻め, 受け

Thursday, September 28, 2017
You may have heard words seme and uke before, they're two related terms used to describe the roles of characters in gay fiction, mostly gay fanfics, with their gay ships. But what does seme and uke mean? What's the difference between a seme and an uke? And what does seme and uke mean in Japanese?

Bara - Meaning in Japanese - 薔薇

Thursday, September 21, 2017
If you've been in anime forums too much, you might have encountered the word bara 薔薇 before. This word refers to a genre of gay drawn porn. But what does bara mean in Japanese? Where does the meaning of the word bara come from?

Yuri - Meaning in Japanese - 百合

In the anime fandom, the term yuri 百合 is often used as a genre of manga and anime that's pornographic and contains homosexual relationships between female characters, or, in other words, yuri is drawn lesbian porn. But is that really what yuri means? What does the word yuri mean in Japanese? Is it the same as it does in the west?

Yaoi - Meaning in Japanese - やおい

Saturday, September 16, 2017
If you have been on the internet enough, it's likely you've heard the word yaoi やおい before, it's a genre that refers to gay manga porn in the west. But what does yaoi mean in Japanese? Does it mean the same thing as it does in the west? Or is it different? And where does yaoi come from?

Hentai - Meaning in Japanese - 変態

Saturday, September 2, 2017
In the west, "hentai" refers to any pornographic manga, anime, game, visual novel, or pretty any fiction with 2D drawn or 3D rendered characters. It's drawn Japanese porn. Everybody knows this. But what does the word hentai mean in Japanese? Does hentai 変態 mean the same thing in Japan as it does outside of Japan?

Ecchi - Meaning in Japanese - エッチ

Tuesday, August 29, 2017
Some manga and anime out there are classified as ecchi エッチ. These usually contain frequent erotic or adult imagery, including nudes, panty shots, etc., but aren't actually considered to be pornographic. But does the word ecchi have the same meaning when used in Japan? What does ecchi mean in Japanese?

Uso - Meaning in Japanese - うそ / 嘘

Monday, August 28, 2017
The word uso うそ, sometimes written in kanji as uso 嘘, is a word that has way too many translations in Japanese to make sense. You see uso translated as "that's a lie!" or "I can't believe" and so on. How is that possible? What does uso really mean in Japanese?

Why is ha は pronounced wa? Particles he へ as e, wo を as o?

Sunday, August 27, 2017
One huge question people tend to have about Japanese is: why is the particle wa は pronounced wa わ despite the wa particle being written as ha は? And while we're at it, why is the particle e へ pronounced e え despite being written as he へ? And the particle wo を which sounds like o お anyway?! Why are these particles pronounced differently from what you'd expect?!

Why Japan? Why??? Is the particle wa は pronounced wa わ but written as ha は. The particle e へ pronounced e え but written as he へ. And the particle o を pronounced o お but written as wo を?

Desu, Deshita, Da, Datta, Janai + 19 Words - Meaning & Differences

Saturday, August 26, 2017
If you have watched anime in Japanese, like, ever, then there is no way you haven't heard the word desu です at least once. But what does desu mean in Japanese? What about the words da だ, deshita でした, datta だった, janai じゃない, and desu ka ですか? What is the meaning of these words that appear in a lot of Japanese phrases?

In this article I put together the basics of how they work for people who don't know a bit of Japanese, plus differences and nuances of words such as dearu, dearimasu, degozaimasu, and so on for people who already know a bit of Japanese, in order to answer most doubts you could probably have about them.

Plurals in Japanese - Grammar - How Do They Work?

Friday, August 11, 2017
Singular and plural are grammar concepts that exist in every language. In singular you have one "thing" and in plural you have two or more "things." What changes between languages is how you express the plurality in words. In English we often use an "s" suffix, but how do we make a word plural in Japanese?